It was in the year 1965, some of the young, enthusiastic and far sighted gem traders met in an old office room in Zaveri Bazaar Bombay to discuss and give shape to their dream of setting up a gemmological institute in the country. They were none other than Shri Kirtilal K. Doshi, Shri Rajendrakumar A. Shah, Late Shri Himmatbhai C. Jhaveri, Shri Padmakant H. Jhaveri and Shri Pravin M. Nanavati. Thanks to their untiring efforts over the next six years, resulting the Gemmological Institute of India was born in April 1971. The Gemmological Institute of India (GII) was established under the aegis of the Gem & Jewellery Exporters’ Association, Mumbai. The institute is registered as a non-profit Public Charitable Trust.
In the year 2006, GII has been taken over as a project of The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council and co-sponsored by the following leading organizations:-
- Bharat Diamond Bourse
- Diamond Exporters’ Association Ltd
- Gem & Jewellery Exporters’ Association
- Mumbai Diamond Merchants’ Association
- The first Research & Development Laboratory in the field of Gemstones in India recognized by the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India as SIRO. It is a National Research Center for Gemstones and Diamonds.
- GII is also an Allied Teaching Centre (ATC) for the FGA (London) examinations in India.
- Recognized centre by different universities for post graduate and Ph.D studies in the field of gemstones and diamonds.
- Started the first Diploma courses in Gemmology and Diamond Grading in India and trained thousands of students so far.
- Started the first correspondence course in Gemmology in India.
- Conducts short term courses in Gem Identification, Diamond Grading.
- Developed one of the best Gemmological libraries in India.
- Has been continuously training Customs officials for Gem Identification.
- GII is an Allied Teaching Centre (ATC) for the FGA (London) examinations in India. Institute has been recognized centre for the London based Fellowship (FGA) examinations of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain in India since its inception.
- Students from all parts of the world are enrolled for the course at the institute.
- Publishes “Indian Gemmologist” the only Scientific Journal in Gemmology in India and GJEA Bulletin jointly with the Forum of Indian Gemmologists and Gem & Jewellery Exporters’ Association.
- Conducts advanced training courses for the use of sophisticated instruments such as Raman Spectroscope, FTIR, UV Visible Spectrophotometer, EDXRF, LIBS, Diamond View etc.
- Conducts special courses for various Government departments
- Organizes National and International seminars and workshops. Committed as the Alma mater of Gemological studies in India.
- The first Gem Testing Laboratory established in India for identification and certification of Natural, Synthetics and all types of treatments done on Gemstones.
- GII is offering regular gem testing services to the general public, Gem Industry, Government departments like Customs, Police, Income Tax etc.
- GII issues Diamond Grading Certificates as per International Standards.
- Issues the grading report for Diamond Studded Jewellery.
- Issues Geographical Origin Certification for Ruby, Emerald & Sapphire.
- Issues certificates for origin of colour identification in diamonds.
- Identification of Types of Diamonds.
- Identification of CVD and HPHT synthetic diamonds.
- Identification of HPHT treated diamonds.
- The first Research & Development Laboratory in the field of gemstones in India recognized by the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India as SIRO. It is National Research Center for Gemstones and Diamonds.
- GII is one of the world class Laboratory which is fully equipped with the most modern and sophisticated instruments.
- GII has a team of highly qualified Scientists and Gemmologists in the Country.