ENERGY DISPERSIVE X-RAY FLUORESCENCE(ED –XRF)giionlineadmin
X-ray florescence (XRF) is a powerful non-destructive technique to identify the major constituents of any substance in solid or liquid phase. This has the limitation however that it gives surface information of metallic substance and of solid made up of high atomic number elements.
EDXRF is used for the determination of elemental composition of gemstones. EDXRF is used for quantitative analysis of various elements.
EDXRF at GII is equipped with 2D Mapping facility which aids to locate the fractures in gemstones & material used to fill those fractures with glassy materials containing Heavy elements
Following are the determination by ED-XRF
- IDENTIFICATION OF LEAD GLASS FILLING IN GEMSTONE & DIAMOND
- IDENTIFICATION OF SYNTHETIC AND NATURAL CORUNDUM
- IDENTIFICATION OF ORIGIN OF RUBIES , SAPPHIRE AND EMERALDS
- IDENTIFICATION OF NATURAL AND SYNTHETIC EMERALDS
- IDENTIFICATION OF NATURAL AND SYNTHETIC WHITE OPAL PLAY OF COLOUR